Sunday 30 June 2013

Dessert Lesson #3 + July #1!


Hey everyone!

sorry it's been a while! I have been flat out getting assignments finished for the end of the semester! But good news now, I have a 4 week break!
So for July I'm aiming to do one blog a day! I hope I manage to do this... :/

Anyhooo... 3rd Dessert lesson!

For this lesson I made:

Crepe suzette

Apple strudel
Mille feuilles
Meringues



Mille feuilles

This was my first time making Mille Feuilles and actually the first time I had ever heard of them!
From my experience I would describe them as a bit of a flasher version of the good old custard square.
This had 3 layers of puff pastry (homemade!) with layers of pastry creme in between.
My one is decorated with icing ontop.
I was really happy with how mine turned out however I am definitely going to have to practice making more puff pastry to try get some more 'puff'.



Apple Strudel



A classic dish once again I had not made before. I filled this with a delicious apple filling with raisins and some leftover pastry creme! (Didn't make my own puff pastry for this one though...)
I loved decorating mine with some leftover pink and white icing. This was a great finishing touch.



Crepe suzette


This dish made me a lot more confident in the kitchen..... flipping those crepes had always been a fear of mine since I just couldn't trust myself to do it! Basically I had to force myself to do it otherwise I wouldn't pass.  My first attempt.... was a success! woohoo!
So if you don't trust yourself to flip crepes, you should definitely give it ago. Perhaps watch  videos of others doing it. Then you can show off at that next dinner party ;)

The crepes are lightly poached in a sweet orange syrup.



Meringues


The Meringues are very similar to the pavlova I made in a previous dessert lesson.
2 egg whites with 100g sugar
Cooked in a low heated oven then left to cool in the oven until dried out.
These are filled with cream then a selection of fresh fruit.

What do you think of these desserts? Have you tried them before?

Brit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment